040 – What if we could not use sticky notes? – with Tamara Eberle
Part one: Serious games
Part two: Workshops without sticky notes
In part one, we speak about "serious games" as an alternative to the usual workshop design. You will learn the difference between 'gamification' of a process and a 'serious game' used to clarify or define a process. Tamara also answers the question for what kind of questions and challenges games can be a suitable option. Since serious games help the group to suspend reality and approach their topic from a new angle, they might not be for everyone. So, don't miss the part when Tamara explains how to distinguish "game-clients" and "non-game clients" and what it takes to turn the latter into the former.
In part two, we dive deeply into the conversations about sticky notes: what makes them such an inherent part of almost every workshop and what can we do if we weren't allowed to use any?
Don't miss the part when Tamara shares her anecdotes about a client who asked her to design a 3-days workshop without a single sticky note!
Although I highly recommend keeping a pen and paper at hand, you may also just download mine!
Questions and Answers (Part 2)
[8:55] How much flexibility in terms of agenda adjustments do games leave to the facilitator?
[15:43] How can we replace the unconscious, cultural role that sticky notes play in our facilitation routines?
[18:37] Sticky notes are a great tool for introverts. How can you replace that??
[26:45] What's your favourite (non-game) exercise?
[33:03] What makes a workshop fail?
[39:40] What shall the listener take away from our conversation?
Links to check
- Tamara's business page: www.tractionstrategy.ca
- The Danish company Workz that offers “storylines” for prototyping and story mapping
- For Tamara's Traction Toolbox Workshop, contact her directly: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lord McGroundwork
- Book about the Power of sticky notes "Sticky Creativity: Post-it Note Cognition, Computers, and Design" Edited by Bo T. Christensen, Kim Halskov, Clemens N. Klokmose
- IAF annual conference
- Photo Card Deck by The Paragraph Project
- Dixit Cards on Amazon or any local toy store
- Sune Gudiksen, bizgames.org OR gamebridges.com
- Our sponsor Session Lab - An online agenda builder and exercise library
- Rein Sevenstern from Experiential Learning - This episode's featured SessionLab user
Connect to Tamara