050: What Happens When You Get 11 Facilitators into an Organised but Unstructured Group Conversation?
50 episodes of Workshops Work – wow! What a joy every episode has been. Thank you for joining me on this journey – whether this is your first or fiftieth time listening.
To mark this milestone, I brought together ten Workshops Work alumni for a fishbowl discussion about facilitation.
We covered a range of topics in such detail, it’s a struggle to summarise it in these show notes. If you are interested in hearing what a room of facilitators has to say about the complexities, joys, and novelties of our profession, I am very happy to present to you this episode.
Thank you again for helping me on my journey to 50 episodes. Here’s to the next milestone…
A huge thank you must go to SessionLab, the sponsor of Workshops Work. Claim your free two months of SessionLab Pro now – this deal is exclusive to Workshops Work listeners!
Questions and Answers
[03:23] How do you ensure everyone in the room has the same understanding? Do you do so before or during a workshop?
[08:08] How do you make sure everyone has a role?
[11:51] What is your experience of wanting to act as a facilitator but knowing that you should not?
[13:10] How do you deal with having assumptions about participants?
[14:41] Neutrality and conflict
[21:52] How do you make space for people in a fair and balanced way?
[25:39] Neutrality, readiness, and being present
[30:51] Reflecting on the experience of the fishbowl
[40:54] What brings you the most joy from the transformation in the room of your workshops?
[41:56] Coming back to discomfort
[49:21] What do you do to limit yourself and avoid taking too much space when speaking?
[51:54] Do you have any short lines you use to transfer power in the room?
[53:11] Checking in on the participant’s experiences of the discussion
Links to check
- 007 – Mindset Management – with Jeremy Akers
- 011 – How to design brainstorming sessions for huge groups – with Frans Scheepens
- 020 – Create experiences for your audience to achieve results – with Rein Sevenstern
- 021 – How to use Liberating Structures to translate the purpose into a process – with Max Brouwer
- 030 – The day after! How to effectively document to achieve results – with Mireille Beumer
- 037 – How to facilitate group decisions in 4 easy steps – with Marjolijn de Graaf
- 041 – Presence, Mindfulness and Facilitation – with Amaranatho Robey
Connect with the guests
- Mireille Breumer
- Shayne Smart
- Jeremy Akers
- Rein Sevenstern
- Nadja Petranovskaja
- Max Brouwer
- Marjolijn de Graff
- Boas Loeb
- Frans Scheepens
- Amaranatho Robey