071: Forum Theatre as a Facilitation Tool to Understand Human Interactions with Pernille Jacobsen
Forum Theatre is a unique approach to facilitation – creating space for change and reflection through creativity, play, and certainly some bravery (to begin with!)
Though the concept fascinates me, I have not had the chance to explore it in as much detail as I would have liked to. To have Pernille Jacobsen, a brilliant facilitator and Forum Theatre practitioner, join me on workshops work gave me the opportunity to change that – and I was not left disappointed.
Forum Theatre and facilitation share many similarities, but cast the other in new lights when considered as two halves of a ‘whole’.
If you listen to this episode, you will find out about:
- What makes Forum Theatre unique and so impactful
- How Forum Theatre works on a practical level, and how Pernille uses it in a facilitative setting
- What Forum Theatre has taught Pernille as a facilitator, and what facilitation has taught her as a Forum Theatre practitioner
- How, if at all, Forum Theatre can be translated in a virtual environment
- What facilitation and Forum Theatre might look like in the future
Although I highly recommend keeping a pen and paper at hand to take notes, you can also just download mine!
Take a seat at my virtual table for a peer-coaching experience. A mastermind is a peer-coaching session where small groups of experts share their knowledge to solve each others' particular challenges. Together, we will help you to make sense of your individual situation. Learn more about my Virtual Mastermind.
A huge thank you must go to SessionLab, the sponsor of Workshops Work. Claim your free two months of SessionLab Pro now – this deal is exclusive to Workshops Work listeners!
Questions and Answers
[01:11] When did you start calling yourself a facilitator?
[03:03] What would your hashtag be?
[05:47] Can you explain more about Forum Theatre?
[09:19] Are participants actively involved in scenes from the beginning, or do you take the lead on the performance and bring them in afterwards?
[18:38] Do participants play themselves or put themselves in others’ shoes?
[21:00] How do you debrief in Forum Theatre?
[24:09] Do you combine Forum Theatre with other types of facilitation?
[25:21] What have you learned about facilitation from Forum Theatre, and vice versa?
[29:00] How do you brief a group before starting a Forum Theatre workshop?
[38:02] What makes workshops fail?
[42:32] How do you translate Forum Theatre into a virtual environment?
[45:08] Are participants more willing or reluctant online?
[48:44] What is your vision for Forum Theatre in 2021?
[52:42] What one thing would you like listeners to take away from this episode?
- Klods-Hans for Viderekomne - Pernille's Forum Theatre venture
- Forum Theatre
- Snapstories - Pernille’s conversational game
- Augusto Boal – the inventor of Forum Theatre/theatre of the oppressed
- Katrin Byreus – Pernille’s biggest role model when it comes to Forum Theatre and facilitation
Connect with Pernille