June 30, 2021
119:The Power of Analogies with Michael Barrett
Sign up to download the free 1-page summary.
Analogies are a powerful tool – they’re communication kaleidoscopes, reflecting and refracting our ideas into a multitude of new, eye-catching alternatives.
It’s a tool that we use regularly. I know in my workshops, I will fall back on helpful analogies to explain complex topics. On this podcast, guests (and I) will use analogies to explain new concepts. In many conversations, you’ll find analogies cropping up.
It was about time workshops work dedicated some space to this powerful tool! Thankfully, I was able to speak to one of the best possible analogists – Michael Barrett, founder of Resonance, LLC and multi-hyphenate-careerist.
Michael’s thinking is a breath of fresh air and our conversation flowed beautifully. Journey with us as we explore the power of analogies in facilitation.
Find out about
- Michael’s portfolio career of massage therapy, consultancy, and facilitation
- How massage therapy taught Michael to see organisations as organisms
- How interdisciplinary thinking helps Michael see the world in analogies
- Why we shouldn’t always avoid pain, as it can lead to sustained relief
- The neuroscientific reasons for using analogies when you facilitate
- Knowing where an analogy’s limits are
- Understanding the ground rules of using analogies effectively in workshops