March 16th, 2022
156: Adventure Education means Facilitating Vulnerability with Phil Brown
Sign up to download the free 1-page summary.
If you think of adventure education, do you imagine rock climbing, swinging from trees, and kayaking down flowing streams?
For Phil Brown, Lead Trainer at High 5 Adventure Learning Centre, it looks more like overcoming vulnerability and supporting one’s peers.
Adventure education is facilitation in action – literally. The act of exploring and adventuring stretches far beyond the physical experience and challenges us emotionally and socially.
Phil joins me in this episode to share the facilitation lessons he’s learned from a career in adventure education.
Find out about
- Why adventure education is about far more than physical challenges
- How to encourage risk-taking when you’ve worked hard to establish trust and psychological safety
- Why collective and individual growth happens when we share novel experiences
- How we each need different support structures around us to take risks – and how we can facilitate them
- What it means to be vulnerable in a shared space and the things it can teach us
Don’t miss the next show: Subscribe to the show with your favourite podcast player.
And if the idea of NeverDoneBefore 2021, the community of facilitators, caught your attention; click here to explore it in more detail!
A huge thank you must go to SessionLab, the sponsor of Workshops Work. Claim your free two months of SessionLab Pro now – this deal is exclusive to Workshops Work listeners!