August 24th, 2022
179: Facilitation as a Diplomatic Skill in (Peace) Negotiation with Ron Ton
Sign up to download the free 1-page summary.
There are few spaces in which facilitation skills have a greater impact than diplomacy, yet conversations connecting the two are rare.
This episode changes that.
With over 30 years of experience in mediation and mediation training, Ron Ton has unique and unparalleled insights to share. Explore the incredible world of diplomacy, negotiation, and mediation with one of its pre-eminent experts.
Tune in to learn how facilitation skills intersect across Ron’s work—and how his approach has changed over time.
And, as a separate note, this is one of my first in-person recordings in 2+ years. What a joy!
Find out about
- What diplomacy, mediation, and facilitation have in common
- How to balance defending one’s interests with finding a mutually agreeable path forward
- Why so much of Ron’s work comes back to facilitating collaboration
- The three levels of awareness Ron focuses on in any negotiation
- Why your workshops starts before you’re in the room
- How humility can take us away from unspoken agendas and towards deeper understanding
- What to do if a group gets stuck on a disagreement early on in a workshop
Don’t miss the next episode: subscribe to the show with your favourite podcast player.