February 16th, 2022
152:Facilitating the ‘board game’ with Janek Panneitz
Sign up to download the free 1-page summary.
There’s no room for frivolities like board games in the boardroom… Right?
Not so, says Janek Panneitz! Janek is a facilitator, trainer, moderator, and a certified board game superfan and, as with so many guests on this podcast, has found a fascinating way of joining dots between his professional and personal passions.
Janek has been exploring and experimenting with the serious implications and effects board games and game mindsets can have in professional settings and how we can harness these learnings to create better workshops.
We discuss his flourishing experiments, the mechanics of bringing game mindsets into workshops, and how professional identities are an act of role-playing.
Pull up a seat at the table, choose your figurine, and let’s play!
Find out about
- Why there can be a disconnect between problem-solving for fun and for work
- The three layers that make up a board game and a gamified workshop – and how to use them in your designs
- Why converging our expectations is essential for the success of a workshop
- How a lack of context can sometimes be a boon to your workshops
- Why it’s better to aim too high than too low in your aspirations for a workshop
- The surprising ‘flattening’ power of board games in established hierarchies
Don’t miss the next show: Subscribe to the show with your favourite podcast player.
And if the idea of NeverDoneBefore 2021, the community of facilitators, caught your attention; click here to explore it in more detail!
Thanks to our sponsor Deckhive. Click here to find out more about the new platform for using card decks in online facilitation. Use the code workshopswork to get the first month for free.