June 14th, 2023
Unmasking the Hidden Influence: The Clean Language Approach with Judy Rees
Sign up to download the free 1-page summary.
Facilitation can be a messy business; what can we do to clean it up?
Judy Rees, who’s been working with groups for almost 20 years, thinks the answer lies in clean language. A focus on clean language in turn creates what Judy calls ‘clean facilitation’.
Specificity and neutrality is the name of the game, but can facilitators ever truly be neutral? Judy and I wrestle with the big questions of influence, manipulation, and communication in this episode as we try to clear up clean facilitation and explore how to apply it in our day-to-day work.
Find out about
- What Judy means by ‘clean facilitation’
- Practical examples of how clean language can help facilitators dig deeper into a discussion
- Why getting out of the group’s way is a noble goal, but not always possible
- The ways in which we manipulate without ever realising
- How to use our influence with the group in a beneficial way
- How clean language can help us better understand a group’s idiosyncrasies and uniqueness
- Why focusing our influence on the process, rather than the content, is a valuable path to follow
Don’t miss the next episode: subscribe to the show with your favourite podcast player.